Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day One Continued: Time change is really weird.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that there should be one central time zone that the entire world goes by.

And it should be Eastern Standard Time, because that's where I'm from.

It's 2:12 pm by my watch, 5:12 where I came from and 7:12 am tomorrow where I'm headed.

If that's not enough to give you a headache, try flying five different planes in one day.

The last flight was a nightmare, albeit a short one. It only lasted 45 minutes, but my life flashed before my eyes on multiple occasions. I made the mistake of not looking at the plane before I boarded. It's something I try to avoid, because when I end up on a tiny pedal pusher I am more apt to switch flights than actually get on board. However, had I peeked today, I would have seen it was a normal sized-flight (well, the same size plan that took me across the country) but I would have noticed the "Student Flyer" sign that was most likely on top of the plane.

If you've never driven with a student driver, don't make your maiden voyage behind one 30,000 feet in the air.

The landing on my first flight earned a 9 out of 10. Smooth landing with a slight jump. A bit of turbulence, but it wasn't the worst I've ever endured. The pilot on flight #2 pointed the nose straight beneath us and hit the brakes. All sarcasm and exaggeration aside, the sudden change in altitude brought me dangerously close to fainting.

But, yet again, I survived. Exhaustion is setting in, but my goal is to make the "time change" switch while I'm doing my travel, which means staying awake until it's time to go to bed Japan time. Ten pm Japan time is 8 am Florida time, meaning I will have been awake for 27 hours straight if successful. (5 am Pacific Time)

Switching over like this serves two purposes: (1) it may keep me from sleeping through my boarding in Seattle to head to Japan, and (2) it will hopefully help jump start my time transfer and make it as seamless as possible.

If the whole world was on the same time zone, this wouldn't be an issue. I don't see why it's an issue for people in Japan to go to work at "9 am EST" everyday. Yes, they would be working through the middle of the night, but it makes my travel plans so much more convenient.

Oh, the world doesn't revolved around me? Crap... I guess I'll head to my favorite brew house, a native of San Francisco which happens to have a location in the airport. Lucky me! :)