Saturday, December 24, 2011

Dreaming of a Fried Christmas.

When I learned I would be spending Christmas in Japan, I quickly got excited for the opportunity to celebrate one of my favorite holidays in a new culture.

I quickly set out to research all of the Japanese traditions and decided that however the Japanese celebrate Christmas would be how I would celebrate Christmas.

I was not prepared for what I learned.

How could I? I knew that Japan was not a "Christian" nation (not like America is anymore anyway...) and that they were Buddhist/Shintoist, but Christmas is Christmas and America seems to push it's way onto everyone else in the world, so there had to be some type of tradition or practice that would set this experience apart from every other.

And, if we go through with it, it will definitely be different than anything I've ever done in the states.

No, it's not a ritualistic practice where we eat the face off some small animal while it's still dying, or chanting some prayer in our underwear in the snow, but it's just as bad.

Because we would be eating KFC.

Yes, Kentucky Fried Chicken.

My new Japanese friend told me that someone came to Japan from the States and found they couldn't get their traditional Christmas dinner here because they don't have turkeys here. So, they went with the next best thing, which apparently was KFC, and it caught on.

According to KFC, it was their mastermind plan (and profound marketing success) that they convinced an entire nation that the only way to have a happy Christmas was to order one of their chicken boxes. Sales weren't doing so great before this marketing scheme, probably because the Japanese knew better than to feast on oil-drenched chicken covered in artery-clogging batter.

"It’s like a Christmas standard,” Yoshiaki Hirose, a Tokyo businessman, said. “KFC holds a premium position [over other fast food chains], so it’s nicer for celebrating, without being overly expensive" Read an article from last year's here.

I promise you Ray wants to jump on this.

They also do these Christmas cakes, which are some kind of Angel food cake (my favorite) iced with whipped cream and fruit.

Ray was going to order one, but has been swamped with work, so when the sun rises (it's 6 am Christmas morning as I type this) I'm going to check out the French cake shop that reportedly makes the best Japanese Christmas cake around. KFC is a little far to walk, but we'll see.

Right now, I'm just angry my fantasy team is currently tanking in the championship match.

I think our new friends were a little perplexed that we didn't eat KFC as a US Christmas tradition. We spent the day with them touring Tsukuba, and saw something pretty famous- a 120 meter-tall Buddha.

The Ushiku Daibutsu is of the the largest statues in the world (just under 400 feet high and 3 times the size of the Statue of Liberty). It's maybe 30 minutes from our apartment. It sits on these beautiful grounds (which were barren from the cold) that is probably full of blossoms in warmer weather. You can take an elevator to the top of the Buddha and look out for miles around Japan. We saw Tokyo Tower (I think) among the most notable.

There's also a petting zoo, where you can feed squirrels and rabbits and pet goats an warthogs. There was also a wallaby. I would LOVE to upload pictures of this adventure, however my camera cord is in the states and until I can locate one here, pictures are flat out.

I am a blogging failure, but here's a shot from the web.



We had lunch at his fantastic lunch of pork ramen, which is nothing like what you have had when you break open (literally) a package of Top Ramen and throw in some hypertension seasoning. The pork was probably the most tender and flavorful I've ever had. They cook it right in the soup broth, along with these mushroom-like veggies that were described to me as bamboo root. I also tried the seaweed...

I forgot to mention yesterday that I survived my first earthquake! It was very tiny- so small that it hasn't even popped up on the world earthquake map, and so small it may have just been a dream. But, it woke me up and Ray felt it.. it had this tiny roar to it and shook for a couple of seconds.

Pretty exciting.

But not as exciting as the fact that I slept all the way until 5 am this morning. Friday, I went to bed at about 4 and woke up at midnight... last night I made it all the way until 8 pm, so I'm making progress. Tonight might just be the night I get on a real Japanese schedule!

I know Ray told me what today's plan was, but I was too tired to remember. I think we are going to a church here for a Christmas service, then hopefully eating cake! I definitely miss my family, but it's great to be here with Ray.

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout-out to my beautiful Grandma and my step-mother-in-law!! Happy Birthday Nana & Patti!! :) I wish I could spend the day with you two!

It's Christmas Day here.... whooooop! I think I'll go wake Ray up so I can open presents. muahaha

Merry Christmas to all!